issue with sysutils/msyslog on FreeBSD 5.2

Andrew MacTaggart amactaggart at hkis.edu.hk
Wed Feb 4 23:03:57 PST 2004

Hello

I have been trying to get msyslog installed and functional for a few
hours now. I have read the man pages and believe i have installed it
correctly.

I am trying to port the syslog messages to mysql db, created as define
in the man page.

I used ports and did a
make
make install
created a shell script using the sample
created a syslog.conf file using the mysql sample for the -s I typed
localhost as the db resides on same machine.

anyway i was getting an error when i load the syslogd for msyslogd
which states:

WARNING: error on unix input module

that's it no other info.

now I have found an article that discusses older version of FreeBSD
4.8

stating that im_unix.c module needs to be updated to freebsd's use of
/var/run/log as the default logger and not /dev/log. So I changed this
and ./configured the source

I then read that options for mysql needed to be added so i did a
make deinstall
edited the Make file with the WITH-MYSQL=yes
ran make
edited the im_unix.c file for the default logger as /var/run/log
ran make install

this made the error message go away, but no data is ending up in the
db, and there doesn't seem to be enough information for me to go any
further.

so the daemon appears to load without error and db remains empty - but
no PID is created and the application doesn't do anything at all

If you can point me to any sources about msyslog on freebsd it would be
greatly appreciated.

Andrew