HEADS UP: MAJOR changes to the ports system

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 4 15:03:13 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 18:00, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at FreeBSD.org>
> > Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 02:49:15 -0500
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-current at freebsd.org
> >
> > Sorry for the wide distribution, but it is critical that -CURRENT users
> > hear this.  Two _MAJOR_ changes just went in to the ports tree that are
> > bound to cause some pain to -CURRENT users. =20
> >
> > The first is the change in default threading libraries.  The ports
> > system now uses -lpthread when linking ports instead of -lc_r.  Binaries
> > that wind up with both libc_r and libpthread in them will cause
> > problems.  In that case, it is imperative that you report this to the
> > port's maintainer ASAP.  You can use pkg_info -W /path/to/binary to
> > determine which port installed it.
> >
> > Second, Perl 5.8.2 is now the default version of Perl in -CURRENT since
> > the 5.2 split.  This replaces Perl 5.6.1 as the default.  Note: Perl
> > 5.00503 is still the default version of Perl in the 4.X base OS.
> >
> > If you experience problems with any of these changes (or with the other
> > recent changes listed in /usr/ports/CHANGES), please report them on the
> > ports@ list and to the appropriate maintainers as soon as possible.
> > Thanks.
>
> OK. After last night's massive adjustment of PORTREVISION, I set u to
> rebuild most everything in ports. I did the standard 'portupgrade -Ra'
> and away it went. Soon enough of the low-level libs were re-built that
> nothing much would run, but I figured that it would be better as soon as
> everything finished building.
>
> Then, after installing the updated librep, ruby dumped core. Now I can't
> run and of the portupgrade tools except portsdb. I have re-built ruby
> and the things built on it for portupgrade, but I still fail with the
> error:
> ruby in malloc(): error: allocation failed
> Abort (core dumped)
>
> Any idea what might be causing this and what I can do to fix it? Getting
> everything re-built in the correct order without portupgrade will be very
> unpleasant with over 180 ports left to re-build!

Have you rebuild world and kernel today?  Also, check the ruby binary
with ldd to see if it's linked to both libc_r and libpthread.  If it is,
report that to knu.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team	::	marcus at FreeBSD.org