USE_RC_SUBR

Dag-ErlingSmørgrav des at des.no
Mon Feb 2 00:32:27 PST 2004

Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com> writes:
> There was a problem with testing for /etc/rc.subr existence with package
> builds on bento.  However, this is being addressed in the current 4-exp
> build.

Thanks.

Another issue with rc.subr is POLA.  Previously, anything listed in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d would start at boot time (or when you ran the
script manually).  Now, though, ports using rc.subr don't start unless
you explicitly enable them in /etc/rc.conf.  The startup script will
simply do nothing, with no warning to the user.  I got bitten by this
last night when I updated SpamAssassin on my mail server, and found
out only this morning that it had switched to using rc.subr.

I'm not going to start an argument about the desirability of this; the
point is that people need to be made aware of it.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no