gettext / gettext-old exclusion

Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com
Sun Feb 1 12:20:17 PST 2004

I've written more about the subject than is probably warranted.  Read on if
you feel masochistic. :-)

Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 13:14:58 +0100, Erik Trulsson <ertr1013 at student.uu.se>
> wrote:
> > There are *NO* ports that depend on devel/gettext, so it is not really
> > much of an issue.
> > [...]
> > If you install everything from scratch there are no problems.
> Actually, it's an issue here.. A lot of people don't read the mailing list
> or whatever, so they use the portupgrade to upgrade everything. The

Well, I do read the mailing list but I also do use portupgrade to upgrade
things, seeing as how that's supposed what it's for.  This little mixup
wasn't a disaster by any means, only annoying, but the other thing I find
annoying is that the person who broke it doesn't seem to be too interested
in _fixing_ it.

Some of us don't ever "install everything from scratch."  Feh.  The system
I'm using now has been in continuous existence, over various bits of hardware
and versions of FreeBSD (via source upgrade) for some eight or nine years.
>From time to time I go through and clean out accumulated cruft, but there's
no way I'm going to bring it down long enough to "install everything from
scratch."

> The people will have to do the deinstall of gettext and install
> gettext-old or edit the database by change gettext->gettext-old to solve
> the problem. I personal solve the problem by write a simple shell script
> to convert all ports depend on gettext and rebuild everything, I am using
> gettext 0.13 here with no problem.

As am I.  I didn't use a shellscript, I've just dealt with it a port at a
time (changing the dependency to point to intl.6 so it won't try to install
gettext-old), but everything has worked just fine.

Of course, as Jeremy said, the _right_ thing to do would have been to create
gettext-new and then make no ports depend on it.  Given that the mistake was
made, though, a HEADSUP to remove gettext and install gettext-old would have
been nice.
--
Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com	http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/