Which CMS to use for small website depolyed on FreeBSD?

Chris Shenton chris at shenton.org
Thu Dec 30 11:51:20 PST 2004

Palle Girgensohn <girgen at pingpong.net> writes:

> A bit off-topic... I'm mailing this list to check if there are any
> suggestions for a content management system for a rather small web site,
> that is will be deployed on a FreeBSD web server. Open Source or Commercial
> doesn't matter. Optimally, it will exist in the ports collection already.
> If not, I'll port it and put into the tree :-)
>
> It is not going to be a lot of modifications to the web site, no wikis or
> blogs, just a regular web site for an Opera Academy. The customer wants a
> webbrowser GUI for editing pages, and expects a CMS to manage the pages.

Plone can do that out of the box; the browser-based editor is an
add-on "product" called Epoz. Both are in ports.

I found getting Plone running, the Zope app server really, was a bit
confusing: what do you do after you do the "make install clean" from
ports?  There are now three books on Plone which should help (authors:
McKay, Meloni, Cooper).

If you go this route and get stuck, somewhere I ahve some text notes
on what I needed to do that I could send you. After that, it's up to
you.  I'm fairly new to it myself but am happily using it -- as you
describe, with Epoz -- for taking techie notes and such, nothing
complex. It does understand 'workflow', like oen author creates
content, then submits it to a site maintainer for approval before it
gets published to the world; and you can revert a piece of content if
it got published wrongly. Very nice.

Plone may be a lot bigger than you need, since it does have lots of
features and add in products like wiki, blog, photo albums, etc. But
it should do what you want, without worrying about PHPBB-type holes :-)