Problem with unresolved symbols in libintl.so.6 (gettext)

Michel Gravey michel.gravey at optogone.com
Tue Dec 28 16:47:05 PST 2004

Hello,

Environnement: 5.3 security branch updated from 4.10
After a fresh upgrade of devel/gettext to latest version (0.14.1), when
trying to compile some other ports, I get the following error msg:
/usr/libexec/lib-elf.so Unresolved symbols "stpcpy" in libintl.so.6
(try many ports which rely on gettext to compile, like netpbm or ezm3)
The bison utility was broken after the update (same error message).
A recompile did fix the problem (for bison only).
I already recompile expat2 and libiconv from ports, and fetching a
precompiled binary of gettext didn't fix the problem.
The gettext binary is maybe not the problem but it's quite annoying since
many packages rely on gettext to compile or run. An other server updated
from 4.10 to 5.3-release doesn't have the problem.
The output of nm -B /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.6 | grep stpcpy is the same on
this 2 machines (the ones with the problem and the other, same ports tree,
and updated gettext to latest version) :
U    stpcpy

If you have any ideas or suggestions...
Thanks in advance,

Michel Gravey