HEADS UP: linux_base-8 upgrade requires immediate testing

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Mon Dec 27 16:09:39 PST 2004

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 00:15:49 -0800, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org>
wrote:

> As some of you know, Alexander Leidinger has been working on a patch
> to change the default linux_base port to linux_base-8.  Because of the
> potential for runtime problems with the new linux distribution, we had
> planned to commit this after 4.11-RELEASE.  However, the recent
> marking of linux_base as FORBIDDEN because of an unfixed security
> vulnerability (which is unlikely to be fixed because redhat 7.x is no
> longer supported) has forced our hand, and it looks like we'll have to
> proceed immediately or leave 4.11 without a working linuxulator.
>
> The patch is in testing on the package cluster at the moment and will
> hopefully be committed within a few days, but given the timing with
> the holidays, and the intended start of the ports freeze on 12/30, we
> need all the help we can get to test this patch.
>
> So, everyone (especially those with access to a RELENG_4 system),
> please grab the patch at
>
>   http://www.leidinger.net/FreeBSD/port-patches/linux.diff
>
> apply it, follow the instructions in /usr/ports/UPDATING, and test
> that various linux applications continue to run correctly.
>
> If you find any problems, please report them here and to
> netchild at FreeBSD.org.

Works great so far here (fetch today linux.diff), I only had to merge
x11/linux-XFree86-libs by manual. It will be great if commiters (you know
who you are) can hold their own horse and let this patch to be test, then
put in ports tree sooner. However, I only have tested it with linux-opera,
linux-aspell, linux-realplayer, linux-flashplugins7 and acroread.

I only notice many problems with linux ports are that those pkg-plist need
to be fix. Sorry, I forgot to '>&' to create log because it was over
scroll in my screen when I 'pkg_delete -f linux-\*' to deinstall linux
apps then 'pkg_delete -f linux\*' to deinstall linux_base-8. More like
linux_base-8, linux-XFree86-libs, linux-atk, linux-pango, linux-gtk2 and
few other linux-* pkg-plist.

Cheers,
Mezz

> Thanks,