Getting flash working with Firefox

Derrick Edwards dantavious at comcast.net
Mon Dec 27 01:56:34 PST 2004

	Clint actually you can have flash up and running by using a couple of  ports.
The flashpluginwrapper and linuxpluginwrapper ports do the trick for me. For
excellent step by step instructions on setting up flash with
flashpluginwrapper go to.... http://www.evilcommandline.com/ Also, shows you
a bunch of other newbie stuff that is great. Check it out.

	Now to your questions concerning the linuxplugin wrapper.

 I did install the linuxpluginwrapper:

  Firefox doesn't have an LD_PRELOAD entry.  So, there's nothing to> change
here?

You are correct. I did not make any changes to firefox to get it to work
either.

 2) I don't even have a /etc/libmap.conf.  So, rather than change lines I
 put the ones they suggested in there.  It says SEE ALSO, %%LIBMAPCONF%%.
 What is that?
Basically here what you want to do is go to your examples directory.
(/usr/local/share/examples/linuxpluginwrapper)
 There you will find the entire libmap.conf that you need. There are several
libmap.conf files available. Ofcourse, whatever version of FreeBSD you are
using then use that one.
libmap.conf-FreeBSD4.x          libmap.conf-FreeBSD5-current
libmap.conf-FreeBSD5-stable
Whatever one you choose copy it to /etc/libmap.conf

 3) So, when I apply this dlsym(7) patch, what do I do next?  Rebuild
 world and reinstall?  It doesn't say.
I did not install such a patch. Pretty sure that you dont also?

4) It doesn't even say HOW to setup Flash7 support even though it's not
reliable.
Once you find the libmap.conf you are going to see that it is broke down in
various sections by the diferent programs. As always comment out what you
dont want. You may have to manually installed linux-flashplugin7 from the
ports if you wish to use it.

You should be well on your way to having flash up and running. If you have any
other questions please let us know and we will be glad to help.

v/r
Derrick