HEADS UP: linux_base-8 upgrade requires immediate testing

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Fri Dec 24 00:15:50 PST 2004

As some of you know, Alexander Leidinger has been working on a patch
to change the default linux_base port to linux_base-8.  Because of the
potential for runtime problems with the new linux distribution, we had
planned to commit this after 4.11-RELEASE.  However, the recent
marking of linux_base as FORBIDDEN because of an unfixed security
vulnerability (which is unlikely to be fixed because redhat 7.x is no
longer supported) has forced our hand, and it looks like we'll have to
proceed immediately or leave 4.11 without a working linuxulator.

The patch is in testing on the package cluster at the moment and will
hopefully be committed within a few days, but given the timing with
the holidays, and the intended start of the ports freeze on 12/30, we
need all the help we can get to test this patch.

So, everyone (especially those with access to a RELENG_4 system),
please grab the patch at

  http://www.leidinger.net/FreeBSD/port-patches/linux.diff

apply it, follow the instructions in /usr/ports/UPDATING, and test
that various linux applications continue to run correctly.

If you find any problems, please report them here and to
netchild at FreeBSD.org.

Thanks,
Kris