Wine on 5.3-STABLE and threading

Jonathan Fosburgh jonathan at fosburgh.org
Wed Dec 22 05:54:22 PST 2004

I was very happy to find out that Wine is working again on FreeBSD.  I see the
note about being broken in 4.x due to threading support, but my problem is on
current. If using libpthread wine applications (such as notepad) fail shortly
after launch with the error:

Fatal error 'Uninitialized mutex in pthread_mutex_trylock_basic' at line 474
in file /usr/src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_mutex.c (errno = 22)

which is the same failure I was getting with the May snapshot.  However, if I
use libthr, wine works just fine. On further investigation, I found the
following files in /usr/local/lib/wine had dependencies on a threading
library:d3d8.dll.so, d3d9.dll.so, d3dx8.dll.so, glu32.dll.so, glut32.dll.so,
opengl32.dll.so, winearts.dll.so, and wined3d.dll.so.  Except for
winearts.dll.so, all of these seem to be picking up their threading
dependency from /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.  If I setup libmap.conf to make
that file use libthr, then wine works, though I also have to make other apps
dependant on libGL use libthr as well in order to work.  Presumably, wine
should work with GL enabled using libpthread.  Any thought?

I am trying to build wine without GL support right now to see if that changes
anything.
--
Jonathan Fosburgh
AIX and Storage Administrator