Installing Apache 2 and PHP5 from packages on 4.10-R

Freddie Cash fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca
Mon Dec 20 13:21:09 PST 2004

On December 20, 2004 12:10 pm, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> >Here's what I ultimately did. I did a fresh install of the OS, then
> >installed the version of MySQL that the PHP ports seemed to want so
> >that they'd find it. I then built the PHP4 (not PHP5) port (which
> > took forever, because it insisted on bringing in everything from
> > Bison to M4 to GNU gettext). It, in turn, brought in the older
> > version of Apache that it "wanted."

> >Admittedly, I was letting the port maintainers' preferences
> > influence what I did, but I didn't have time to sort out all of the
> > dependencies or figure out exactly what was going wrong. I needed
> > to get the server up ASAP.

> >Perhaps the maintainers of these ports could provide better
> > instructions for a foolproof install, since PHP, MySQL, and Apache
> > are so often installed together. Maybe the best thing to do is to
> > create ports or packages that are explicit combinations of specific
> > versions of each. (I would have liked PHP5, Apache 2, and the most
> > recent solid release of MySQL on this machine, but for now it was
> > not to be.)

Odd.  The PHP ports have an options screen that pops up, and the very
first option in the list is whether to build the Apache 1.3.x or Apache
2.x module.  Unless you forced a BATCH install (or had a previously
saved config file, which can be deleted using "make rmconfig"), you
should have seen this.  :)

Same with the phpX-extensions port, where you select the PHP options you
want installed.  This includes options for MySQL 4.0.x or MySQL 4.1.x
support.  Not sure about getting MySQL 3.x or 5.x support, though.

--
Freddie Cash, CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73             (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]
fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca