[TEST/REVIEW] Boost 1.32.0 ported to FreeBSD

Simon Barner barner at gmx.de
Wed Dec 15 09:39:10 PST 2004

Hi,

I finally managed to update the devel/boost port to the lastest version
(1.32.0).

I tested it on the following platforms ([P] indicates if Boost's Python
bindings were tested -- some of the machines I ran my tests on are in
production, and I so I couldn't update the existing Python
installation).

 - i386 / FreeBSD 4.9
 - i386 / FreeBSD 5.3 [P]
 - amd64 / FreeBSD 5.3

I'd appreciate it very much if someone here could build the port with
-DWITH_PYTHON on FreeBSD 4.x and report any oddities.

I'd suggest the following test (I would like to put special efforts on plist
correctness since the port has been broken in these regards for so long).

# script /tmp/boost.log
# make -DWITH_PYTHON PREFIX=/tmp/boost install clean
# pkg_delete boost-1.32.0
# find /tmp/boost
# exit
# rm -rf /tmp/boost
# bzip2 -9 /tmp/boost.log

Please send me the compressed log file in a private email.

Test reports from other platfroms are also very welcome (on alpha you are
encouraged to add "-mcpu=ev4 -mtune=ev5 -mieee" to your CFLAGS and to
verify if the alpha specific workaround in my port's Makefile, line 115
is still necessary -- caution: there used to be a bug that made GCC
consume all virtual memory!).

The updated port is available here:
http://www.in.tum.de/~barner/boost-1.32.0-port.tar.gz

There are also some things I am a bit unsure about:

 - I could not enable wide character support on FreeBSD 4.x, even
   with stlport. I suppose this is because libc does not offer it on
   this platform, but it would be nice if you confirmed it.

 - FBSD4-patch-boost::program_options::detail::utf8_codecvt_facet.hpp
   makes the library compile. I have no idea if my solution is correct,
   and honestly, I doubt it...

 - Using USE_PYTHON in a .if defined(WITH_PYTHON) does not work when
   WITH_PYTHON is generated by the OPTIONS framework. IIRC this is a
   known issue, but I am not sure about it.

Thanks in advance for your help,
 Simon