editors/ted Was: Being a port maintainer

Jon Drews jon.drews at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 17:28:07 PST 2004

Hi:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:00:11 -0800, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
> At the moment, too many of our ports have no maintainer.  This means
> that there's no-one available to fix problems that occur with the
> ports or to deal with user support questions.

 Although the version of Ted (2.14) is quite old, a new release will
be available soon. This port is not abandoned. Versions 2.15 and 2.16
had some serious bugs so I did not update the port.
 In 2.15 there was no way to turn off bulleted or numbered paragraphs.
 In 2.16 a crash occurred occurred if a sentence, that contained a
footnote, was cut and repasted.

For Ted 2.17:
* Numbered and bulleted paragraphs work correctly.
* The table tools have been added to the main task bar.
* Footnotes have proper spacing so that the superscripts do not
intrude on the adjacent footnote.
* Ted can now render line drawings that were created in Microsoft Word.
* Certain embedded images were not rendered properly, this has been fixed.
* Hyperlinks, when used for Table of Contents, had a bug that caused
the underline to run past the right margin. This has been fixed.
* A crash that happened when images were resized to zero width has been fixed.
* Problems with the cursor repositioning itself, after a cut or copy,
have been fixed.
* An image that spanned two pages caused a crash. This has been fixed
by preventing images to be resized larger than the page size.
* The rtf2pdf.sh was fixed so that it would work correctly for private
(non-root) builds.
* When resizing embedded images, the image would flicker. his has been fixed.

Still to do before porting:
* The Section tool has some bugs and the developer is fixing this.
* Reorganizing code (refactoring ?). Ted original began as a hasty
program to allow the developer, Mark de Does,  to read *.rtf on UNIX
computers.  Since then he has invested considerable effort to add more
word processing features to it.

                                             Greetings,
                                             Jonathan