"Being a port maintainer" document

Haulmark, Chris chris at sigd.net
Sat Dec 11 20:00:03 PST 2004

Someone broke the silence:

> On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 07:02:04PM -0500, Haulmark, Chris wrote:
>
>> I have an interest.  There are several ports that come to mind that I
>> believe that I can be capable of.
>
> Great, thanks!  Just submit a PR listing those you want to take over
> (better, include a patch that changes the MAINTAINER).
>
> Kris

What I really had in mind was to know what to do when there are certain
ports that I come upon that needs to be upgraded or need to add in a
patch.

For instance, I see several requests for updating outdated ports.  If I
had the documentations, I could use my free time to build up my
experience with FreeBSD systems.  I'm proficent at system and network
administration and would like to add more experience toward the ports
tree.

Right now, I have only one port in mind to submit a Makefile patch to
add in an extra patch (which has been floating around for a while) for
security/cyrus-sasl2 to add in a mysql encryption function.

Chris