distfile for lang/ifc

Sat Dec 11 05:14:03 PST 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:46:25 -0600
"M. L. Dodson" <bdodson at scms.utmb.EDU> wrote:

> > > just copied the port, changed the distfile specs in the Makefile
> > > to point to the one I had, did a "make makesum", and it compiled
> > > and worked with no problem (this was with fortran, version 7, I
> > > think).
> >
> > This doesn't work with the update from 8.0 to 8.1 (at least this wasn't
> > the case for icc, and ifc seems to be similar to icc).
> >

> Well that's good and bad.  I use ifc to compile a molecular
> mechanics suite called AMBER (not freely available).  A F90 or
> later compiler is required, so g77 won't suffice.  The AMBER
> mailing list has documented that only certain versions of ifc v8
> will (1) compile the key AMBER program, and (2) generate code
> which can reproduce known good trajectories (generated by earlier
> AMBER code compiled with many different compilers, not just g77).
> These new differences from one minor version to another increase
> the work necessary to work around the Intel compilers
> "peculiarities".  On the up side, WHEN THEY WORK, the Intel
> compilers produce easily demonstrably faster code.

>From v8.0 to v8.1 it isn't a minor upgrade like the 8.0.x versions... at
least not when looking at the "internals" of the compiler (I don't have
access to the source, this is purely based upon my experience with the
update of lang/icc, and lang/ifc is based upon the icc port). The
installation procedure changed a lot and some internals (compiler/libs)
changed too. Since we don't use Intels installation procedure and we
need to "fixup" some parts to be able to produce native FreeBSD
binaries, this was a major update from the FreeBSD port perspective.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
              The best things in life are free, but the
                expensive ones are still worth a look.