[kde-freebsd] extra dirrectories to remove

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Dec 10 12:14:08 PST 2004

Michael Nottebrock wrote:
 > On Friday, 10. December 2004 18:52, Chuck Swiger wrote:
[ ... ]
 >>I would be happy to see just a single port responsible for the creation and
 >>deletion of that directory hierarchy, but, failing that, can't the
 >>individual ports be made smart enough to notice whether or not they created
 >>a path and generate a correct packing list dynamicly?
 >
 > Dynamically created packing lists are very fragile as well, I'd avoid them
 > like the plague if at all possible. The upcoming KDE 3.3.2 ports will come
 > with a kdehier port tacked on that will (hopefully on first try) own all the
 > KDE shared directories, but I still think the warnings pkg_delete emits
 > should just be axed.

Hmm.  It seems to me that listing common directories in several related
subports is harmless, so long as this doesn't mangle existing permissions or
anything like that.

That being said, a package system needs to be able to accurately keep track of
which files go with which package, or else uninstalling stuff fails to work
cleanly.

 > No other package system I'm aware of emits such a warning - probably because
 > the authors were aware of the fact that things like shared directories do
 > exist and packages aren't guaruanteed to completely clean up behind
 > themselves (and likewise no other package system needs to bother creating
 > pseudo-packages to own those directories).

Sure, there exist package systems which don't work properly, just as there are
packages which don't have correct packing lists.  I think the FreeBSD ports
system does a really good job of tracking ports consistently and reproducably,
although at the price of nitpicking over details.  I think ports ought to
continue to warn about these details, but be more tolerant of inconsistency
when it does happen.

Ever use Solaris?  Try looking under /var/sadm or running 'pkgchk -l' after
installing a SunOS patch cluster or upgrade to third-party package software,
and then compare that to what happens on another system if you backout
installed patches before installing a later version of a patch:

46-pong# pkginfo SUNWdtbas
system      SUNWdtbas      CDE application basic runtime environment

47-pong# pkgchk -l SUNWdtbas | head -50
Pathname: /usr/dt/app-defaults
Type: directory
Expected mode: 0775
Expected owner: root
Expected group: bin
Referenced by the following packages:
         SUNWeusru      SUNWeuezt      SUNWeudmg      SUNWeudlg      SUNWeudiv
         SUNWeudhr      SUNWeudda      SUNWeudbd      SUNWeudba      SUNWdtct
         SUNWdtbas      SUNWdtdte      SUNWdtdst      SUNWdtezt      SUNWdthe
         SUNWdtim       SUNWdtwm       SUNWsregu      SUNWdtab       SUNWxwfa

Current status: installed

Pathname: /usr/dt/app-defaults/C
Type: directory
Expected mode: 0775
Expected owner: root
Expected group: bin
Referenced by the following packages:
         SUNWdtct       SUNWdtbas      SUNWdtdte      SUNWdtdst      SUNWdtezt
         SUNWdthe       SUNWdtim       SUNWdtwm       SUNWsregu      SUNWdtab
         SUNWxwfa
Current status: installed

Pathname: /usr/dt/app-defaults/C/Dt
Type: regular file
Expected mode: 0444
Expected owner: bin
Expected group: bin
Expected file size (bytes): 4206
Expected sum(1) of contents: 6701
Expected last modification: Dec 02 03:09:39 1999
Referenced by the following packages:
         SUNWdtbas
Current status: installed

Pathname: /usr/dt/app-defaults/C/Dthelpprint
Type: regular file
Expected mode: 0555
Expected owner: bin
Expected group: bin
Expected file size (bytes): 8405
Expected sum(1) of contents: 47080
Expected last modification: Nov 09 21:33:26 1998
Referenced by the following packages:
         SUNWdtbas
Current status: installed
[ ...snip huge # of lines more... ]

50-pong# showrev -p | grep SUNWdtbas
Patch: 108714-05 Obsoletes:  Requires:  Incompatibles:  Packages: SUNWdtbas,
SUNWdtbax
Patch: 108949-05 Obsoletes:  Requires:  Incompatibles:  Packages: SUNWdtbas,
SUNWdtbax
Patch: 109142-06 Obsoletes:  Requires:  Incompatibles:  Packages: SUNWdtbas,
SUNWdtbax
Patch: 108919-07 Obsoletes:  Requires: 108652-19 Incompatibles:  Packages:
SUNWdtbas, SUNWdtdte
Patch: 108949-07 Obsoletes:  Requires:  Incompatibles:  Packages: SUNWdtbas,
SUNWdtbax
Patch: 108919-17 Obsoletes:  Requires: 108652-19 Incompatibles:  Packages:
SUNWdtbas, SUNWdtdte
Patch: 108919-18 Obsoletes:  Requires: 108652-19 Incompatibles:  Packages:
SUNWdtbas, SUNWdtdte
Patch: 108949-08 Obsoletes:  Requires:  Incompatibles:  Packages: SUNWdtbas,
SUNWdtbax
Patch: 108919-20 Obsoletes:  Requires: 108652-19 Incompatibles:  Packages:
SUNWdtbas, SUNWdtdte
Patch: 108919-22 Obsoletes:  Requires: 108652-19 Incompatibles:  Packages:
SUNWdtbas, SUNWdtdte

--
-Chuck