'dynamic' options questions

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Tue Dec 7 11:25:49 PST 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 01:08:53PM -0600, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 19:53:01 +0100, Stijn Hoop <stijn at win.tue.nl> wrote:
> > In my package build jail this backfires though. And in this case there
> > isn't even an option to turn the support on. And I think dosirak or
> > pointyhat (which is it these days?) will never build support for
> > evolution into gaim, right?
>
> The best solution is to create a slave port, gaim-evolution or
> gaim-whatever.

OK, possibly, but then you end up with as many slave ports as there
are 'useful' options ^ 2. Which I think will be a lot.

> > So, I guess what I'm asking is:
> >
> > - what's the 'correct' way of doing auto-dependencies
>
> This is correct way. If you want it to be add in the package, then just
> add defined(PACKAGE_BUILDING) like this:
>
> .if ${HAVE_GNOME:Mevolutiondataserver}!="" || defined(PACKAGE_BUILDING)

Well I'm not the maintainer of the port, which is why I'm asking :)

I just wanted to build a set of GNOME 2.8 packages that I can use to install a
new desktop. And I wanted to see all functionality; I don't care if it takes a
lot of diskspace (because I have enough).

Now I don't consider myself as typical but right now there is no way of
getting evolution support in net/gaim without first installing
evolutiondataserver.

And maybe, if net/gaim gets installed via x11/gnome2 or some other metaport
this is always the case. But the point is that on e.g. a package build jail
this won't be necessarily. And I can't force the port to turn it on.

Hence the previous email.

Note: net/gaim is just an example; I suspect there are more. I know of more
ports that have options that are off by default but get turned on if the
proper library is detected; which is also not very nice if you're trying to
build a clean set of packages, but at least there you can forcibly turn on the
option.

> But, I don't think it's good idea and best to do is create a slave port
> because not everybody want this feature.

No, I certainly do understand that not everyone wants evolution support.

Cheers,

--Stijn

--
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.