FreeBSD Port: awstats-6.1

Andrew J Caines A.J.Caines at halplant.com
Mon Dec 6 13:16:28 PST 2004

Christian,

> i was just wondering if an update is planned for awstats? last stable
> version is 6.2 - 2004-11-06 03:37 and the version in ports is 6.1.

The quickest and bestest way is to do the update yourself and to submit a
PR to have the update comitted. That way you get the new version before all
the others and can bask in the glow of the glory which comes with
contributing.

The MAINTAINER (see the port Makefile) is your first point of contact for
issues with any port, including reviewing patches.

Like with most things in FreeBSD, it's surprisingly easy and well
documented in the Porter's Handbook[1]. This is what I did...

=> Copy the old port to a different location

# cd /usr/ports/www
# tar -cf awstats-6.1.tar awstats
# mv awstats awstats-6.1
# tar -xvf awstats-6.1.tar

=> Update the awstats port to 6.2 by changing "6.1" into "6.2" in the
   Makefile, get the source distribution and put it in ports/distfiles and
   update the checksum info (distinfo)

# cd awstats
# vi Makefile
# fetch -o /usr/ports/distfiles/awstats-6.2.tgz http://aleron.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/awstats/awstats-6.2.tgz
# make makesum

=> Make sure the various build stages work

# make fetch
# make extract
# make patch
# make

=> Remove the old port and (try to) install the new one

# sudo pkg_deinstall awstats-6.1
# sudo make install
install: /data/ports/www/awstats/work/awstats-6.2/tools/configure.pl: No such file or directory
*** Error code 71
Stop in /data/ports/www/awstats.
# ls /data/ports/www/awstats/work/awstats-6.2/tools
# vi Makefile

=> configure.pl has been renamed to awstats_configure.pl. Change the line
   in Makefile and try again

# sudo make install
install: /data/ports/www/awstats/work/awstats-6.2/tools/webmin/awstats-1.3.wbm: No such file or directory
# ls /data/ports/www/awstats/work/awstats-6.2/tools/webmin/
# vi Makefile
# vi pkg-plist

=> It's now awstats-1.4.wbm, so fix Makefile and pkg-plist and try again

# sudo make install
===>   Registering installation for awstats-6.2

Looking at the output, it looks like everything has installed correctly.
Runnning a quick test produces correct looking output[2].

=> Create a patch[3] to update from the old version by diffing the old
   directory with the (clean) new one (and make a tarball[4] of the port)

# make clean
# cd ..
# diff -ruN awstats-6.1 awstats | tee ~/www/software/FreeBSD/ports/awstats-6.2.patch
# tar -cjvf ~/www/software/FreeBSD/ports/awstats-6.2.tar.bz2 awstats

=> Submit a PR[5] with the patch[3]

# gtk-send-pr

Ok, it's a GUI, but I like it.

> thank you for your time and effort.

Thank you for your time and effort next time.

> [this mail was scanned with norton antivirus 2005]

I feel so much safer.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/index.html
[2] http://halplant.com:88/awstats/
[3] http://halplant.com:88/software/FreeBSD/ports/awstats-6.2.patch