share/locale cleanup in progress

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sat Dec 4 17:30:17 PST 2004

Dear all,

A few hours ago I committed an update to BSD.{local,x11-4}.dist that
includes a few dozen extra locale directories that are commonly used
by applications in the ports tree.  I also have a patch that cleans up
most of the ports in the tree so that:

a) they don't leave behind locale directories that are not listed in
the BSD.*.dist files ("system directories")

b) they don't remove system directories at deinstall-time

The patch may be found here if anyone wants to review it:

  http://www.freebsd.org/~kris/locale-plist.diff

I plan to commit it some time this week, after some further testing.

I didn't touch a number of ports that have broken pkg-plists,
i.e. leave behind files in their locale directories; neither did I fix
a couple of ports that don't use pkg-plist files (IMO, if a maintainer
wants to be clever and avoid a pkg-plist file, it's their
responsibility to make sure they still have a correct pkg-plist after
conversion).

Once this patch goes in, I'm planning to make it a fatal error on the
pointyhat cluster for ports to leave behind files or directories in
share/locale/, so we'll keep a handle on this part of the filesystem
hierarchy.

Kris "Ports Janitor" Kennaway