python

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Wed Dec 1 16:29:50 PST 2004

This question deals with the python ports, but bear with me ... it will
look like a python question, but it's not, read on.

I'm trying to get database (persistence) working, and I keep on hitting an
exception, looks like:

>>> db=bsddb.btopen("garbage")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "gpython.py", line 123, in code_exec
    exec (code, self.globs, self.locs)
  File "<input>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/bsddb/__init__.py", line 303, in btopen
    e = _openDBEnv()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/bsddb/__init__.py", line 339, in
_openDBEnv
    e.open('.', db.DB_PRIVATE | db.DB_CREATE | db.DB_THREAD |
db.DB_INIT_LOCK | db.DB_INIT_MPOOL)
DBInvalidArgError: (22, 'Invalid argument -- architecture lacks fast
mutexes: applications cannot be threaded')

I remember, in doing the build, python is a build a lot like KDE in some
ways, in that it's spread across a lot of ports, and each of those ports
puts in some options of it's own.  I can't remember which one it was, but
one of those ports had an option for fast mutex support (of some kind, I
can't recall the exact wording anymore)

If anyone knows which of those python ports allows for the fast mutexes,
I[d sure appreciate a pointer.  Until then, I'm just browsing away,
reading them all, and getting very, very bored.

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr at chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
Signa Phi Nothing).