K3B issues under Beta1

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Wed Aug 25 18:24:54 PDT 2004

On Thursday 26 August 2004 03:13, Chris wrote:
> Has anyone had issues with K3B under Beta1?
>
> Here are my errors -
> /usr/local/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to
> `std::__default_alloc_template<true, 0>::_S_free_list'
> /usr/local/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to
> `std::__default_alloc_template<true, 0>::_S_force_new'
> /usr/local/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to
> `std::__default_alloc_template<true, 0>::_S_refill(unsigned int)'
> /usr/local/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to
> `std::string::_S_empty_rep_storage'
> /usr/local/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to
> `std::__default_alloc_template<true, 0>::_S_node_allocator_lock'
> /usr/local/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to
> `std::__default_alloc_template<true, 0>::deallocate(void*, unsigned int)'
> Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/k3b.
>

> This is an upgrade from 5.2.1-p9 where K3B did work prior to the upgrade.

See /usr/src/UPDATING entry 20040728. It must be said that source upgrades
from 5.2.1-RELEASE to 5.3 are going to suck exceptionally hard. The default
pthread library has changed and the default system compiler has changed - the
moment you try and add something new to the system, be it via port from
source or binary package you are very likely to be hit by massive binary and
source incompatibility.

The pthread library change can be worked around with the help of libmap.conf,
the ABI incompatibility between g++ 3.3 and g++ 3.4 cannot. In general,
backing up all data and reinstalling from scratch has not been such a good
idea for upgrading FreeBSD in a long time...

I don't think that these issues are anywhere nearly documented adequately
either. IMHO, 5.3-RELEASE needs to come with some _very_ big warning signs in
all kinds of places, possibly including make buildworld and sysinstall.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org