newbie porter questions

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at people.tecnik93.com
Sat Aug 21 18:15:03 PDT 2004

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:57:25 -0700
David Syphers <dsyphers at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Saturday 21 August 2004 05:51 pm, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> > On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:17:00 -0700
> > > First, I have a script that does the installation. I call it with
> > > a do-install in the Makefile, '@(cd ${SCRIPTDIR} &&
> > > ./mod_install)'.
> >
> > Is this really necessarily ?
>
> I'm not sure... I decided to use the original install script and just
> modify it, but now that I have a better idea of what's going on, I may
> just not use it at all.

It's better. The time you spend understanding the way the bsd.*.mk works
will server you in the future _and_ there are 95% you have to rewrite a
large portions of the script to make it obey everything it should.

> > > Lastly, I've modified the install scripts that come with the
> > > program so that they're no longer interactive. However, they
> > > become interactive if there's a failure - rather than just fail,
> > > they try to get useful input from the user so they can continue.
> > > In this case, should I define IS_INTERACTIVE? If I do, but want to
> > > enable package builds, what's the right way of doing:
> > >
> > > .if (!defined(PACKAGE_BUILDING))
> > >        IS_INTERACTIVE= yes
> > > .endif
> > >
> > > The code is wrong, of course, but I don't know what the right way
> > > is. I assume it's obvious to humans what I'm trying to do, if not
> > > computers...
> >
> > Should work without parenthesis. On the other hand it shouldn't fail
> > :)
>
> Fails with:
> "Makefile", line 19: Unassociated shell command "IS_INTERACTIVE=
>  yes"
> make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

You do use a tab on that line and not spaces, right ?

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"