x11-wm/fluxbox-devel having issues on recent -CURRENT?

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Sat Aug 14 14:18:10 PDT 2004

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 23:48:06 +0300, Ruslan Ermilov <ru at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 12:32:15PM -0500, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 20:18:06 +0300, Ruslan Ermilov <ru at FreeBSD.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi!
>> >
>> >I've just upgraded my June 2004 -CURRENT, including
>> >recompiling kernel, world, switching to X.Org, and
>> >upgrading all other ports.  All ports have been
>> >forcibly recompiled, including those that didn't
>> >change the version.
>> >
>> >Everything is fine so far, except for my WM, which is
>> >fluxbox-devel -- it now fails with signal 10.  Before
>> >I upgraded ports, the old binary also exhibited this
>> >same behavior (SIGBUS), and a recompile of all ports
>> >didn't help.
>> >
>> >Can someone investigate or at least test/confirm this?
>>
>> Right now, I am working on upgrade my -CURRENT from June to today. I
>> will
>> find out if I have the same problem as your this afternoon. I am
>> planning
>> to do the 'rm -rf /usr/local/* /usr/X11R6/* /compat/linux/*
>> /var/db/pkg/*'
>> (I always do that) right after I am done with upgrade -CURRENT.
>>
>> Do you have mem and io in your kernel config as what in
>> /usr/src/UPDATING
>> has said. They will be need for the X stuff.
>>
> Sure, I do.  My kernel is GENERIC based, with all extra
> stuff removed.
>
> $ file /dev/io /dev/mem
> /dev/io:  character special (248/14)
> /dev/mem: character special (245/0)
>
> Note that old fluxbox binary started exhibit this problem right
> after a world/kernel upgrade.  The new binary is exhibiting this
> same problem.

I get the same problem......running in plain X right now.

I am not skill with C++ and read gdb, but it complains about the Time
stuff in C++.. I have no idea if the bug is in our GCC 3.4.x stl_list.h or
is in fluxbox. I searched in Fluxbox, Debian and Gentoo, I can't find
anything else that has same problem as our. Here's backtraces of the crash:

Program terminated with signal 10, Bus error.

#0  0x0812c288 in std::_List_iterator<FbTk::Timer*>::operator++ (
     this=0xbfbfe834) at stl_list.h:139
139             _M_node = _M_node->_M_next;

(gdb) bt
#0  0x0812c288 in std::_List_iterator<FbTk::Timer*>::operator++ (
     this=0xbfbfe834) at stl_list.h:139
#1  0x0812bfa8 in FbTk::Timer::updateTimers (fd=-1077942220) at
Timer.cc:146
#2  0x0806b32b in Fluxbox::eventLoop (this=0x816cc00) at fluxbox.cc:668
#3  0x0807e8f8 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbfbfed00) at main.cc:238

It will be great if someone can take a look at and cook up patch(es). :-)

Cheers,
Mezz

> Cheers,

FreeBSD GNOME Team