lang/gcc34 does not compile fully

Dave Evans root at hclb.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 10 12:13:00 PDT 2004

Most of it is compiled. I'm now on the last stage.

Has anyone got gcc34 to work from ports?

In the build for pass3 (I think)
in directory build/i386-portbld-freebsd5.2/libiberty,
I had to edit the config.h file by hand as configure
had decided some vital header files such as stdlib.h were
not present. It is of course wrong to blame
configure as it's really the new compiler which is
doing it.

In build/i386-portbld-freebsd5.2/libf2c configure gets
it wrong again:

checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp
 (this has to be bogus)

checking for stdio.h... no
 (Oh really? )

configure: error: Can't find stdio.h.
You must have a usable C system for the target already installed, at least
including headers and, preferably, the library, before you can configure
the G77 runtime system.  If necessary, install gcc now with `LANGUAGES=c',
then the target library, then build with `LANGUAGES=f77'.
gmake[1]: *** [configure-target-libf2c] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/elephant/usr.ports-2003/lang/gcc34/work/build'
gmake: *** [bootstrap-lean] Error 2
*** Error code 2

I think there is some deep reason within the new
compiler to explain why it gets simple programs
wrong.