upgrading ports

Robin Schoonover end at endif.cjb.net
Fri Aug 6 11:49:27 PDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 11:54:01PM +0300, Dancho Penev wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I wonder why ports system haven't possibilities for automatically upgrade ?
> Do you have anything against ? or
> It's like that because nobody doesn't create them yet, and everybody
> use portupgrade.

We won't stop you from doing cvsup + portupgrade -a in a cron job.

You probably don't want to update automatically though.  Major
changes sometimes occur in a port (either the Maintainer,
or the actual developers of the port did something real big) Not
much we can do about it, and this is somewhat out of scope of
what ports can/should do.

(hmm: for more safety, part of your update script that runs cvsup
and portupgrade would not upgrade ports that appear in
/usr/ports/UPDATING.  or add a flag to portupgrade to enable this
behavior.)

--
Robin Schoonover (aka End)
#