subversion broken with apache2 now in ports

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Mon Aug 2 13:09:16 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 12:47, Clement Laforet wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 22:02:00 +0400
> Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> > SM> I'm sorry, it is libapr-0.so.9.  I improperly recalled seeing a
> > SM> message about webdav or somesuch.  That must have been another
> > SM> problem that was my fault.  Does this mean I can remove the
> > SM> /etc/ld-elf.so.conf that has/usr/local/lib/apache2 in it and svn
> > SM> will still work?
> >  If subversion was builded with WITH_APACHE_APR (or WITH_MOD_WEBDAV),
> >  answer is 'NO'. And it is current problem.
> >   Subversion ALWAYS uses libapr, and if it uses apache2's one, here
> >   are problem, intorduced by apache2's maintainer, when he decided to
> >   put `libapr' from apache not to ${PREFIX}/lib.
>
> I never decided that. apr has been in ${PREFIX}/lib/apache2 for ages,
> have a look at config.layout file in apache2 tarball, you'll see it's
> default layout (currently used). LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set at runtime (see
> below).
>
> Discussed error is:
> Starting apache2.
> Syntax error on line 284 of /usr/local/etc/apache2/httpd.conf:
> Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache2/mod_dav_svn.so into server:
> Shared object "libaprutil-0.so.9" not found, required by
> "libsvn_repos-1.so.0"
>
> As you said previously, error appeared "around apache2-2.0.49!" to be
> more precise: apache-2.0.49_2, when I introduced apache2 RCng startup
> script. Previous script used apachectl to start apache2, new one start
> directly httpd.
> I forgot to add (I committed yesterday this missing part):
> if test -f /usr/local/sbin/envvars; then
>   . /usr/local/sbin/envvars
> fi

My issues have been two-fold.  First, apache2 stopped loading.  Second,
svn.  I noticed it around July 20th.  It appears you have fixed the
apache2 issue and I suppose svn would be up to the subversion
maintainer.  I am confused, though, why it use to work when libapr* were
in .../lib/apache2 before.  Was this an earlier change?  Did these move
from .../lib to .../lib/apache2, or have they always been in the
sibdirectory?

> which sets LD_LIBRABRY_PATH. No more change between 2.0.49 and 2.0.50.
> All previous behaviour was done at run time.
>
> To answer you previous question about what may imply a move from
> ${PREFIX}/lib/apache2 to ${PREFIX}/lib. AFAIK, no port should be
> affected. But I'm a little bit (too much?) reticent to make apr/apache2
> ports conflict.
> It's a dilemna, and I don't know which choice is the best.

IMHO, if svn were compiled with an rpath it should be resolved quite
nicely.

Cheers,
Sean