If you're bored during the freeze

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Fri Apr 23 22:03:07 PDT 2004

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 12:46:24AM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> > I'm probably going to add /usr/local/www to BSD.local.dist so it
> > becomes a "system" directory.  I'd welcome suggestions for how to deal
> > with other common entries like share/locale (the subdirectories are
> > nonstandardized, so there doesn't seem to be an easy way to deal with
> > them like there is for share/nls) and lib/pkgconfig (should these
> > ports have a dependency on pkgconfig?).
>
> No, those ports should be modified to use USE_GNOME=gnomehack, or hack
> themselves appropriately to use libdata/pkgconfig instead.
> lib/pkgconfig is not searched, and .pc files in those directories are
> useless.  Why libdata?  Well, these files are not binary libraries, but
> rather library data files needed to track dependencies.

OK, thanks for clarifying.

> As for share/locale, I'd like to see all language directories be pooled
> into a common mtree file or the like.  So many ports make use of these,
> it just makes sense to keep a growing list (IMHO).

The thing that makes me uneasy about this is that there are dozens of
them, including a lot that are only used by one port.  Perhaps we can
add the common ones to BSD.local.dist and leave the others to indivual
ports to take care of.  I'll have to gather some more statistics.

Kris