If you're bored during the freeze

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Apr 23 19:18:58 PDT 2004

Sergey Matveychuk wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
>> perl ports seem to be a particular problem
>> here; some of them seem to put files in different places with 4.x's
>> perl 5.00503 and 5.x's default perl 5.8.  Nonetheless, the perl ports
>> are a real mess, and there's a LOT of work that needs to be done here.
>
> We should rework a perl build/install procedure. But tobez@ is like a
> black hole for this point.  BTW, perl 5.8.3 is not in ports tree still.

Last I checked, simply switching the 2 to a 3 and zapping the distfile
resulted in a perl binary that passed all of the checks in "make test".

Make that a 4, as: "The Perl 5 developer team is pleased to announce the Perl
Release 5.8.4, the fourth maintenance release of Perl 5.8. The CPAN ftp
multiplexor will pick a mirror close to you:

bz2 : ftp://ftp.cpan.org/pub/CPAN/src/perl-5.8.4.tar.bz2 (9598489 bytes)
gz : ftp://ftp.cpan.org/pub/CPAN/src/perl-5.8.4.tar.gz (12094233 bytes)"

--
-Chuck

PS: Isn't there a maintainer timeout which should apply sooner or later?