ports/63427: [lang/gcc33] Disabling the Java frontend at compile time

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at pfeifer.com
Thu Apr 22 07:31:27 PDT 2004

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, Etienne Robillard wrote:
> Done :) see below.

I had a look at this patch, and as far as I understand it, building Java
should be the default (not disabling it).

> Ain't that GUI Options screen cool ? :-)

:-)

> -bin/%%GNU_HOST%%-gcj33
> +%%LIBJAVA%%bin/%%GNU_HOST%%-gcj33

This doesn't seem right: one might want to just disable building libgcj,
and still build the Java frontend.  In fact, does it really much sense to
disable building the frontend, now that we have support for disabling
libgcj?

The frontend is comparatively light, adding such an option will add
complexity to the port and an hardly tested path (combinatorial
explosion).

> There's still some minimal glitches about info files, namely gcj and
> fastjar. I'm sure this is not a problem. One more thing, I didn't had
> time to test _with_ (default settings) the JAVA knob. So maybe this is
> still early, since Gerald wanted to clear out bugs before adding stuff.

Yes. :-)  And I think the point you are making is a very good one: will
this really be tested on a regular base, if we add such an option?

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)   gerald at pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/