Single-Letter Port Names

Dominik Epple epple at tphys.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Apr 21 01:29:33 PDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 11:22:01AM -0400, Eric van Gyzen wrote:
> > If you're reducing this to a single package, please do not have it
> > default to *any* size, but require all users to set their size by some
> > means at install or run time.  An environment variable in /etc/profile
> > (or similar) should be good enough for this, and could possibly
> > benefit other ports too.

Perhaps this does not fit here, but:

One of the most annoying things that can happen when doing sth like a
"portupgrade -ra" (or similar) is when a port thinks it should ask the
user a question and therefore the machine idles for, say, worst case,
some days waiting for the user to select a paper size or whatever.

I usually do not sit in front of a computer while it is recompiling
all its packages, and when I check back and find the machine waiting
for input instead of having completed the upgrade, I am annoyed.

Just my 0.02 EUR.

Regards, Dominik.