libtool port

Ade Lovett ade at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 20 10:20:44 PDT 2004

On Apr 20, 2004, at 05:51, Mike Sturdee wrote:

> If libtool13 is deprecated, and going to be removed December 31, why
> is 31
> still the default libtool version in bsd.autotools.mk?

Possibly because we have to be really careful with the autotools stuff,
since it affects a considerable part of the tree.  The recent commit to
break out bsd.autotools.mk is part of an ongoing effort to rationalize
the code.

Note that USE_{LIBTOOL,AUTOCONF,AUTOMAKE} are deprecated, so the
concept of a "default" version of autotools doesn't exist -- it will be
up to individual ports to specify the exact version numbers they need.

In addition to cleaning up the infrastructure, there are also two other
major projects, the first being to remove any direct dependencies on
autotools other than using the appropriate Makefile knobs, and second,
to clean out the myriad of different versions (hence the deprecation
messages to give people a heads-up as to what's going on in that
respect, and to start working on migrating their ports).

We're just (in about an hour of writing this) going into a ports freeze
for 4.10, so there won't be too much going on for a short while, but
then the 4-exp building cluster will be getting some serious workout :)

-aDe