Need advice on editors/ted port

Jonathan j.e.drews at worldnet.att.net
Sun Apr 18 23:44:46 PDT 2004

Hi:

 I am the current maintainer of the Ted RTF word processor port
(editors/ted). I have been working with the developer and testing the
latest version since February. Unfortunately this latest version has
more bugs than the current version. The current version is 2.14
 Here is what has happened:
Ted-2.15 had a partial implementation of bulleted/numbered lists. This
partial implementation caused a crash when manipulating Microsoft
created documents that had these lists. Specifically, if a user changed
a section of a multi page document that contained bullet lists or
numbered lists, then Ted would crash. Changing a section means inserting
landscape pages in a multi page document that is otherwise in portrait
orientation. The developer then went ahead and immediately prepared a
2.16 version to correct those problems. However version 2.16 has a bug
that causes crashes when cutting and repasting portions that have
footnotes. Version 2.16 was released on Saturday, 17 April. Both crashes
cause irrevocable loss of unsaved changes so they are serious bugs.

 I would like to know whether I should update the port to the latest
version (2.16) or wait another couple of months for 2.17 to be released?
The footnote cut/paste bug exists in the present 2.14 version. However
it only happens under certain conditions. Namely The entire first page
must be cut and repasted. The crash only appears to happen with
regularity if the second page also has a footnote. I would like to leave
the present 2.14 version in ports and wait for 2.17 to be released. What
is your advice to me?
  I am a relatively new maintainer of this port so I would also like to
know if someone can serve as a mentor. In the past, Will Andrews helped
me with this but he is quite busy now with kde-freebsd and his final
year of engineering school. He may not have the time for all my
questions.

--
			Kind regards,
			Jonathan