mod_perl installation and non-standard perl path

Melvyn Sopacua ports at webteckies.org
Sat Apr 17 04:28:17 PDT 2004

On Thursday 15 April 2004 17:19, Andy Harrison wrote:
> For reasons I don't want to trouble you with, I had to install the
> latest perl port into /usr/local/rt3/perl/ and now I need to get
> mod_perl to compile against that version.
>

> I edited the Makefile, added
> MOD_PERLCONFIG=/usr/local/rt3/perl/bin/perl to CONFIGURE_ARGS and I
> edited the shebang line in /usr/local/bin/apxs to point to my new
> installation of perl.

[ snip more editing in various ports ]

> Any advice?
In stead of doing all that manual work, why not set variables in make.conf?
The ones you're looking for, can be found by grepping 'PERL'
in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk

Most interesting being:
PERL5=/usr/local/rt3/perl/bin/perl
SITE_PERL=/usr/local/rt3/perl/lib/perl5/site_perl/${PERL_VER}

Also check if ldconfig lists libs in /usr/local/lib/perl5.
You will most probably still get conflicts having the old perl installation
around or at least the /usr/local/lib/perl5 tree.

If you set the correct options in /etc/make.conf then do a portupgrade -R
'p5-*' all your perl modules should then live in the new library directory.
--
Melvyn

FreeBSD sarevok.webteckies.org 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #3: Sun Apr  4
02:24:06 CEST 2004
root at sarevok.webteckies.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SAREVOK_NOAPM_NODEBUG  i386