ports and DESTDIR (was: Second "RFC" on pkg-data idea for ports)

Jens Schweikhardt schweikh at schweikhardt.net
Thu Apr 15 09:54:40 PDT 2004

Garance,

# Another complication is that many ports include cross-references
# to themselves or other programs "on the system".  If you install
# to /otherhost/usr/local/bin, then those ports will embed that
# installation path in the files they install.

No, not when it's done right. PREFIX is not DESTDIR.

# When you then
# run it on the other system, it references /other/usr/local
# instead of the /usr/local that you want it to use.
#
# I know I have been bitten by this on some occasions, although I
# can't think of a specific example right now...

The either someone used DESTDIR when actually PREFIX was meant or some
Makefile was bogusly using PREFIX:=$DESTDIR/$PREFIX or equivalent.

Regards,

	Jens
--
Jens Schweikhardt http://www.schweikhardt.net/