mail/fetchyahoo running failure

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 05:10:11 PDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 09:33:23PM +1000, andrew clarke wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 09:18:27PM +1000, andrew clarke wrote:
>
> > Actually on second thoughts the lang/perl5 port will probably install
> > itself to /usr/local/bin/perl, leaving /usr/bin/perl alone, in which
>
> Now that I think about it, when I installed the misc/less port, the main
> binary was copied to /usr/local/bin/less, leaving /usr/bin/less alone.
>
> I assume this is common practice for Ports, ie. don't clobber anything
> distributed in the Base system (/bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, etc.)?

It's not just common practice -- it's one of the best things about
ports.  Everything gets installed under /usr/local or /usr/X11R6 --
where necessary the port will be patched to expect to find it's
configuration files in (say) /usr/local/etc rather than /etc. The
strict adherence to hier(7) is excellent when it comes to updating one
part of the system without accidentally stomping on another part.

The only exceptions are a small number of ports like OpenSSL, OpenSSH
or BIND which have specific non-default options to let them overwrite
the equivalent software in the base system.

Perl itself installs all of it's files under /usr/local - mostly in
/usr/local/lib/perl5 or in /usr/local/bin.  The 'use.perl' script
makes symbolic links so that '#!/usr/bin/perl' lines automatically
pick up the system default perl version. (Amongst other effects).

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way