mail/fetchyahoo running failure

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Wed Apr 14 04:18:31 PDT 2004

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 07:06:21AM +0400, Igor Pokrovsky wrote:

> I'm trying to run mail/fetchyahoo on STABLE and
> getting the following error (wrapped):
>
> $ fetchyahoo
> Can't locate bytes.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-freebsd
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005
> . /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503 /mach /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503)
> at /usr/local/bin/fetchyahoo line 1468.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/bin/fetchyahoo line 1468.
>
> Line 1468 of fetchyahoo contains 'use bytes'. I searched pkg-plists for this
> file and found it in more recent version of perl, than one that comes with
> STABLE. So I guess I should install perl from ports. Is it my only option?
> If so, it should be somehow indicated in fetchyahoo port (perl 5.6 dependancy?).

I've got the same problem with fetchyahoo-2.8.0 on FreeBSD 4.8R.  I
don't know enough about Perl to write a workaround though, and don't
feel confident installing lang/perl5 (or lang/perl5.8) as that may break
something else.  I'm a bit paranoid about these things though.

$ which perl
/usr/bin/perl
$ perl -v

This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for i386-freebsd

"bytes.pm was introduced with 5.6."

- http://search.cpan.org/~rgarcia/perl-5.6.2/lib/ExtUtils/MakeMaker/bytes.pm

Actually on second thoughts the lang/perl5 port will probably install
itself to /usr/local/bin/perl, leaving /usr/bin/perl alone, in which
case you can probably just edit /usr/local/bin/fetchyahoo and change

  #!/usr/bin/perl -w

  #!/usr/local/bin/perl -w

I don't have a spare PC to test this unfortunately.  But it seems
logical enough!

Regards
Andrew