Second "RFC" on pkg-data idea for ports

Sergey Matveychuk sem at ciam.ru
Tue Apr 13 12:31:53 PDT 2004

Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> But as I thought about adding future features, I ended up with
> something that looks more and more like XML...

I really don't understand why you want to use XML-like format?
I think it may be XML (because of we have a standard) or complete non-XML.

 From your WEB-page:
-------------------
The "<data-format>" tag is expected to identify the version of the
format used for this individual pkg-data file. As time goes on, we will
probably want to expand this format in some manner, and this allows us
to have multiple formats of pkg-data files in the same ports tree. If
someone has a better name than "data-format", I will be happy to use it.
I also wonder if it might be better to collapse the data-format value
into the initial "freebsd-ports" tag. Ie, the pkg-data information would
start with a tag-line of
==<freebsd-ports:v1>
but still end with a "</freebsd-ports>" tag.

In XML we can get something like: <freebsd-ports version="1">.
For parsing we have ready parsers.

Or, if we wish to avoid complexity, we can use non-XML.
E.g.
=== freebsd-ports
=== !freebsd-ports

Why to mix them?