discussion of other ports-related projects

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Tue Apr 13 10:09:44 PDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 12:28:52PM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 1:18 PM +0800 4/13/04, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> >Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >>
> >>Take a look at the portupgrade port, I think that's what
> >>you're trying to describe.
> >
> >If I understood portupgrade right, ...
>
> Please note that this thread is not about portupgrade, or
> successors to portupgrade.
>
> The points you make are interesting, but please make them in a
> separate thread.

Since you've changed the subject I hope this qualifys as a separate
thread :).

As others have noted, DragonFly is attempting to tackle this.  Surprisingly
noone has mentioned that NetBSD introduced this feature in January.  Its
called "package views".  See
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/~checkout~/pkgsrc/mk/buildlink3/README?rev=1.4&content-type=text/plain

It allows multiple versions of the same port to be installed, which seems
to be what you want.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com