Initial list of ports that fail due to -pthread

Michael Edenfield kutulu at kutulu.org
Tue Sep 23 22:34:22 PDT 2003

* Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> [030923 22:21]:

> Here is a partial list of the ports that need to be taught to respect
> PTHREAD_LIBS and PTHREAD_CFLAGS, from the latest 5.x package build (I
> just grepped for the "-pthread is deprecated" error message).  None of

One very important group of ports that should get looked at when this
gets worked out is KDE.  Apparently, Qt uses a different means of
determining wether to use threading, than the ports that depend on it.
The qt-using ports appear to check for -lpthread, then c++ -pthread, and
if neither of those checks pass, disable threading:

checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... no
checking whether c++ supports -pthread... no

However, Qt somehow knows that threads are supported and installs the
libqt-mt version of it's libraries.  The dependant ports then look for
-lqt, not -lqt-mt, since they've disabled threading.

I haven't updated my gcc since -pthread started working again, and this
doesn't generate the typical "-pthread is deprecated" error, so I've
been pulling my hair out for two days over it :)

--Mike