Why is KDE installing in LOCALBASE; not X11BASE?

Christopher Vance vance at aurema.com
Tue Sep 23 04:37:02 PDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 12:49:30AM +0200, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
: Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:49:30 +0200
: From: Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock at gmx.net>
: To: Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net>
: Cc: Andy Fawcett <andy at athame.co.uk>
: Cc: freebsd-ports at freebsd.org
: Subject: Re: Why is KDE installing in LOCALBASE; not X11BASE?
:
: Jeremy Messenger wrote:
: >On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 08:50:13 +0300, Andy Fawcett <andy at athame.co.uk> wrote:
: >
: >>On Monday 22 September 2003 08:39, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
: >>
: >>>I just found out that KDE and KDE apps install in the /usr/local
: >>>instead /usr/X11R6, so I am wondering why is that? I am just curious
: >>>and I personal will put them in /usr/X11R6..
: >>
: >>
: >>From hier(7):
: >>
: >>/usr/
: >>    local/    local executables, libraries, etc.  Also used as the
: >>              default destination for the FreeBSD ports framework.
: >>              Within local/, the general layout sketched out by hier
: >>              for /usr should be used.  Exceptions are the man
: >>              directory (directly under local/ rather than under
: >>              local/share/), ports documentation (in
: >>              share/doc/<port>/), and /usr/local/etc (mimics /etc).
: >>
: >>    X11R6/    X11R6 distribution executables, libraries, etc
: >>                        (optional).
: >>              bin/      X11R6 binaries (servers, utilities, local
: >>                        packages/ports).
: >>              etc/      X11R6 configuration files and scripts.
: >>              include/  X11R6 include files.
: >>              lib/      X11R6 libraries.
: >>              man/      X11R6 manual pages.
: >>              share/    architecture-independent files.
: >>
: >>So, from this, it's arguable where they should go.
: >>
: >>KDE isn't part of X11R6, so it should go in /usr/local/, as should
: >>Gnome, Windowmaker etc.
: >
: >Well, KDE is part of X app.
:
: KDE is _NOT_ part of an X11R6 distribution. XFree86, for example, is a
: X11R6 distribution.

On NetBSD and OpenBSD (yeah, I know ...) X is kept in CVS and built
like regular system sources.

FreeBSD doesn't do this any more and uses regular ports instead.  I
didn't notice the change, but it must have been ages ago.  There is no
longer any real justification on FreeBSD to treat XFree86 any
differently from other things currently installed in /usr/X11R6.  Or
differently from /usr/local, for that matter.  I'd be happy for
/usr/local and /usr/X11R6 to be the same place, and the problem would
then disappear ...

[ hier(7) ]
: It definitely needs to either to be revised in order to extend the purpose
: of X11R6, or a lot of ports has to move their default destination. That's
: if you're anal about the issue, for which I see no reason. It's a bikeshed
: issue if I ever saw one, but it's good to see you're paying attention.

... into another bikeshed.

I briefly tried using something other than /usr/local and /usr/X11R6
for every port I compiled myself, since I'd like to keep /usr/local
for things I do myself outside of ports.  It was a mess, and I moved
instead to putting my own stuff somewhere else.  Recompiling every
package I use yet again was a pain.  :-(

--
Christopher Vance