Why is KDE installing in LOCALBASE; not X11BASE?

Andy Fawcett andy at athame.co.uk
Sun Sep 21 22:50:27 PDT 2003

On Monday 22 September 2003 08:39, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> I just found out that KDE and KDE apps install in the /usr/local
> instead /usr/X11R6, so I am wondering why is that? I am just curious
> and I personal will put them in /usr/X11R6..

From hier(7):

/usr/
    local/    local executables, libraries, etc.  Also used as the
              default destination for the FreeBSD ports framework.
              Within local/, the general layout sketched out by hier
              for /usr should be used.  Exceptions are the man
              directory (directly under local/ rather than under
              local/share/), ports documentation (in
              share/doc/<port>/), and /usr/local/etc (mimics /etc).

    X11R6/    X11R6 distribution executables, libraries, etc
                        (optional).
              bin/      X11R6 binaries (servers, utilities, local
                        packages/ports).
              etc/      X11R6 configuration files and scripts.
              include/  X11R6 include files.
              lib/      X11R6 libraries.
              man/      X11R6 manual pages.
              share/    architecture-independent files.

So, from this, it's arguable where they should go.

KDE isn't part of X11R6, so it should go in /usr/local/, as should
Gnome, Windowmaker etc.

Of course, you can argue that it is tightly integrated with X, so should
go under /usr/X11R6.

It's all down to your interpretation of the above segment of hier(7)
really.

Me? I don't care, and I'm not going to bikeshed the issue.

A.

Andy Fawcett                                     | andy at athame.co.uk
"In an open world without walls and fences,      | tap at lspace.org
  we wouldn't need Windows and Gates."  -- anon  | tap at fruitsalad.org