[Fwd: Release Engineering Status Report]

Brad Davis bdavis at liquidneon.com
Wed Sep 17 00:55:25 PDT 2003

With the delay of 4.9 should the Ports freeze be lifted?


On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 10:23:53AM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> This should have gone to stable@ also....
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Release Engineering Status Report
> Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 23:48:54 -0600
> From: Scott Long <scottl at FreeBSD.org>
> To: current at FreeBSD.org
> All,
> I'd like to give a status report for 4.x and 5.x for the developers and
> users who didn't attend the DevSummit this past weekend.
> 4.9:
> The 4.9 release is likely going to be pushed back for a few weeks while
> the recent instability reports are tracked down.  The target goal is two
> weeks, but hopefully things can be resolved before then.  The problems
> appear to stem from the recent PAE import.  The consensus reached at the
> DevSummit is that PAE is a critical feature for 4.x and that removing it
> isn't desirable unless the problems persist.  We encourage anyone to
> help with this.
> 5.x:
> The 5-stable roadmap document received a major overhaul yesterday.  I
> encourage everyone to take a look at it at
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/5-roadmap/index.html.
> Among the highlights, KSE is progressing extremely well and is no longer
> a major source of concern for 5-stable.  Stability is also at a very
> good level.  However, while performance has improved in some areas, it
> is not at the level that we want it to be.  Since improving performance
> will likely involve changing some API's and adding short-term risk to
> stability, it's looking like the 5-stable branch will be delayed until
> 5.3.  5.2 will be released in late Nov/early Dec and will feature the
> vastly improved KSE, partially-improved network performance, optional
> dynamically-linked root filesystem, and many stability fixes, along with
> numerous new features.
> I thank all of the developers, contributors, and users for the highly
> productive summer and ask that that enthusiasm continue as we push
> towards 5.2 and 5.3.
> Scott
> The Release Engineering Team
> _______________________________________________
> freebsd-stable at freebsd.org mailing list
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-stable
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-stable-unsubscribe at freebsd.org"

More information about the freebsd-ports mailing list