PRs ports/56767...56858

Oliver Eikemeier eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com
Sun Sep 14 13:31:07 PDT 2003

KATO Tsuguru wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:23:51 +0200
> Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com> wrote:
>
>>You mean PR ports/34988?
>>
>>I have a similar PR 56600:
>>  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/56600
>>
>>I can't see how this relates to "ECHO -> ECHO_MSG", though.
>
> As far as I guess, ECHO_MSG or ECHO_CMD should have to be
> used instead of ECHO in ports Makefile. In other words,
> -s flag must be ignored by default. It appears there is no
> documentary evidence, though.

Then what is the point in redefining ECHO depending on -s?

>>When I use the -s flag, I want make to work, but silent.
>
> The function you want is availabe if "ECHO_MSG=${ECHO}" is
> added to /etc/make.conf. Perhaps this way is appropriate
> to become default value....

Hmmm... I consider it silly if a port tells me
'YOU CAN BUILD ME WITH THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS' if I just do
a makesum or checksum. Most of the ports save me their
messages, but tell me when something goes wrong. It does not
work with every port, but I would like it if bento
builds with -s by default, that will save us the
repeated option reminders on a lot of ports.

Redefining ECHO_MSG is definetively bad, because it kills
every error message.

My point is: What is broken with the current usage? Why fix
something that is not broken?