Squid memory leaks in -stable using libc malloc

Mike Harding mvh at ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 7 12:42:34 PDT 2003

There can of course be a difference between what malloc allocates and
what the application asked for.  Various malloc implementations will do
things like round allocations up to a power of 2, etc.  The application
is only aware of the memory it asked for - the OS knows how much memory
was actually allocated.  'Wasted' memory isn't an indication of a bug,
it's a characteristic of the malloc used.  It's only leaking memory if
the memory usage grows without bound, and I've never seen that with
squid, in a few years anyway.

Different malloc implementations optimize for different things - the
FreeBSD malloc, looking at the man page, appears to try to minimize page
faults.  It also looks like it uses buckets with various powers of 2.
dlmalloc looks to have a maximum 'wastage' of 15 bytes per chunk.  There
is a good writeup of dlmalloc here:

http://g.oswego.edu/dl/html/malloc.html

Sounds like you might as well use dlmalloc with squid - squid does
generate a lot of memory allocations, and the characteristics of squid
may function better with this malloc, which is likely why they provide
it as an option.  You may want to suggest to the port maintainer that
dlmalloc be used as the default...

- Mike H.