Fetch: Requested Range Not Satisfiable

Clement Laforet sheepkiller at cultdeadsheep.org
Thu Sep 4 16:22:17 PDT 2003

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 00:33:50 +0200
Thierry Thomas <thierry at pompo.net> wrote:

Hi Thierry !
> What does it mean? This error is reported by fetch for grisbi at
> <http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/i386-4-latest/grisbi-0.4.1.log>.
>
> When I try to retrieve it manually, it works...

Requested Range Not Satisfiable is the 416 HTTP error, surely due to
Content-Range header in libfetch.
But don't ask me why fetch failed on gohan14 ;-)

According to RFC 2616:
10.4.17. 416 Requested Range Not Satisfiable

   A server SHOULD return a response with this status code if a request
   included a Range request-header field (section 14.35), and none of
   the range-specifier values in this field overlap the current extent
   of the selected resource, and the request did not include an If-Range
   request-header field. (For byte-ranges, this means that the first-
   byte-pos of all of the byte-range-spec values were greater than the
   current length of the selected resource.)

   When this status code is returned for a byte-range request, the
   response SHOULD include a Content-Range entity-header field
   specifying the current length of the selected resource (see section
   14.16). This response MUST NOT use the multipart/byteranges content-
   type.

clem