Please help

Julie Lemma jblemma at nc.rr.com
Thu Sep 4 06:26:55 PDT 2003

I'm looking for help with a question...

About 5 years ago I downloaded PySol on my Windows 98 computer - and copied all the files to floppies for safe keeping.  A few years and a new computer later, I still enjoy and play PySol v.4.40.0.0 - I use Windows XP now.

I have been waiting for a long time for Markus's update for PySol with a convenient Windows setup version - the latest news on his website states that he had a major disk problem and will not have it at this time.

This is so simple for you but to a person who doesn't know the foggiest about Python...

I downloaded pysol-4.82.tar.bz2 to my desktop and Windows cannot find a program to open the file obviously.  (Even though I do have a working PySol program with Python files on my computer.)

I see that there is a Windows Installer at www.python.org/download/ - this will install Python on my computer.  I assume this would allow me to open/install pysol-4.82.tar.bz2.  But would you tell me if this is what I should do??  Will having Python "mess" up anything on my computer or create other problems??  It's the "unknown" I'm fearful of - if I could just find someone who could explain it to me, I will understand...

All I want to do is "open" and install the updated version of PySol in Windows (XP).  If I don't do this - it's no big deal - I'll just play the version I already have.  I just like learning and updating.

Thanks for listening and any help you or someone can provide...
Julie Lemma