start/stop script woes: ./squid.sh: Cannot determine the PREFIX

Hajimu UMEMOTO ume at mahoroba.org
Tue Sep 2 10:21:38 PDT 2003

Hi,

andreas> On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 11:58:48AM -0400, stan wrote:
> I actually prefer installing the start-stop script without the execute bit.
> When you boot the mchine, you get reminded what you have installed, but not
> enabled.

andreas> So you install something so that it doesn't get enabled ? :->

andreas> Well, I think we should keep one scheme, not two.
andreas> Currently there exist two methods to prevent startup of
andreas> applications after reboot:
andreas> 	a) no execute bit
andreas> 	b) installed as xxx.sh.something

andreas> Two are too much. I think the execute bit should be set and
andreas> scripts should be installed as xxx.sh.sample.

I vote using USE_RC_SUBR=yes.  With USE_RC_SUBR=yes, you can set
xxx_enable=yes in your /etc/rc.conf.

Sincerely,

ume at mahoroba.org  ume at bisd.hitachi.co.jp  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/