INDEX-5 is deleted then reconstructed by "make index"

Dorin H. dhogea at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 28 20:27:17 PST 2003

> I never do the 'make index' and never use
> portsdb/portversion, because the
> pkg_version works much better.
<snip>
> Cheers,
> Mezz

So as long as you have the port's Makefile everything
should be fine.  But that means that you browse the
port files each time you want a new report about
them(while the portversion command use the .db file).
Isn't it slower? Maybe I didn't got it right.

Also, do you prefer building locally or just using
prepackaged stuff? I found out that the two doesn't
mix so well. I've installed some part of kde by
portupgrade and some by pkg_add, then I got errors
while building the metaport "kde". I solved it by
pkg_delete the previous pkg_added ports and make
install them.
Is it so in general or it is just a temporary issue
that will be solved later (I was talking about
current)?

Thank you for your inputs and your time,
/Dorin.