problems building recent (non-port) gtk-gnutella with icu support

lil c dub lilc1138 at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 28 16:45:09 PST 2003

Hi list,

First off, I'm somewhat of a newbie; sorry if this is
daft... I already tried writing -questions, and recieved
no replies or ideas.

I have been trying to get gtk-gnutella cvs to compile
with some new (internationalization) functions, using
ICU. Neither of the versions currently in ports
(devel/icu & devel/icu2) work; version 2.6.1 passes
configure tests for gtk-g, but produces a non-working
executable.

The best indicator I can seem to find of the error is
messages I get from the compiler (or linker) when
icu is compiled. These are as follows:

/usr/lib/libc.so: WARNING!  setkey(3) not present in the system!
/usr/lib/libc.so: warning: this program uses gets(), which is unsafe.
/usr/lib/libc.so: warning: mktemp() possibly used unsafely; consider
using
mkstemp()
/usr/lib/libc.so: WARNING!  des_setkey(3) not present in the system!
/usr/lib/libc.so: WARNING!  encrypt(3) not present in the system!
/usr/lib/libc.so: warning: tmpnam() possibly used unsafely; consider
using
mkstemp()
/usr/lib/libc.so: warning: this program uses f_prealloc(), which is not
recommended.
/usr/lib/libc.so: WARNING!  des_cipher(3) not present in the system!
/usr/lib/libc.so: warning: tempnam() possibly used unsafely; consider
using
mkstemp()

I would like to just assume that icu 2.6.1 is broken for
this OS, but it passes it's test suite perfectly.
Also, I've had a ton of programs give such errors and
work fine. (I also assume it works for others.)

I also get an identical error output from
libc_r.so.4, when compiling gtk-gnutella with icu
support enabled.

I'm working on this because I intend to update the
gtk-gnutella port and would like to see this work for
other people. I'd also be willing to update the icu2
port, if I can figure out what the issue is.

I was thinking to mention some specifics about my
platform, but can't think of much that would be of use,
except that it is STABLE running SMP, as this may be
thread related. If you want to know more, just ask.

In the case that the code for icu itself is the problem,
advice/links to doc.s that might help me understand
would be appreciated.

And, of course, any help is appreciated,
Clayton

PS. if you CC or reply directly, please send to
crollins666 at hotmail.com .