cups causes system to hang (5.1-RELEASE)

Guy Middleton guy at obstruction.com
Sat Oct 25 04:23:27 PDT 2003

I have an up-to-date /usr/ports on a 5.1-RELEASE system.

/usr/local/sbin/cupsd causes the system to hang instantly.  The screen
freezes, the mouse freezes, the network freezes.  I reboot, and there are no
interesting log messages afterwards.

How should I proceed here?  Since this is 5.1, people could tell me "don't be
surprised if things don't work".  I could upgrade to -CURRENT and see if it
still does this.  Or just wait for 5.2, since I don't really need cups anyway.

Has anybody else seen this problem?